Sunday, October 12, 2008

Boulder City

We made the long-haul (for us) from Hawthorne NV to BC today in what was good weather for traveling. Temps here are in the 60s which feels very good after four days below freezing. Traffic through Las Vegas was nuts even on a Sunday afternoon with narrow lanes and posted 65mph limits the bulk of the traffic was moving 15-20mph faster. Had a great visit with my Aunt who lives in Henderson this evening too. In the morning we will make the final run for Apache Junction AZ for some RNR.
Gypsy was REALLY glad to see the sun! She doesn't normally ride on the dash but had to get as close as she could to the heat. Once we headed out of the sun, she was down looking for the next hot spot. Tomorrow morning we get to cross Hoover Dam. In spite of the inspection, it is an awesome sight.

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Reno to Hawthorne


A short trip but the weather was in question and there just wasn't much south of Hawthorne until Vegas. Pictures are from Reno this morning, the ride south and from the front window here at Whiskey Flats RV Park in Hawthorne NV.

Friday, October 10, 2008

Still Reno


Weather forecast was for snow flurries and wind warnings so we have decided to stay here until tomorrow and change our route south a bit to the east. It will save us a day and get us into warmer weather sooner. Pictures from this morning are a far cry from the previous two days. Looking close for the icicles. Much like Bryce Canyon last year; our water hose was frozen this morning.

Thursday, October 9, 2008

CA SR-49


Scott and I rode the northern 100 miles of SR-49 today. It started off as a brisk clear day and remained so to the end. Bear in mind, we rode both directions including the 15+ miles from Reno to SR-49 for a total of 235 miles; over one pass of 6100 ft and two or three over 5000 ft each way. Wonderful road with better than average California pavement.

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Reno, almost

A good day, not much wind and plenty of sun. We took separate paths as it were, when Scott followed us out of the RV park and went right on 97 instead of left on BUS 97. So we went east of Mt. Shasta and he went around it to the west, an extra 100 miles. We arrived here near Reno about 30 min apart.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Next Step


Windy today made driving difficult but it should be better tomorrow. Passed a shoe tree today. Picture says more. Spending the night near Klamath Falls then on to Reno NV in the morning.

Monday, October 6, 2008

AZ Bound

Slipped our mooring this morning and found our way to Moro OR for the night. Western Washington's weather has turned to typical fall so it was a good time to go. We have met our friend Scott here and will travel/caravan from here to Apache Junction AZ. The picture typifies what we are tyring to escape.