Sunday, March 15, 2009

If Only Remembering Was Enough

An 80% scale replica on the Vietnam War Memorial was set up here in Apache Junction this weekend. On the spur of the moment I and a couple of friends visited the display. I have visited the Memorial in Washington DC several times and three or four of the traveling replicas and each time I am struck by something which leaves me to ponder. This time as I paused to view each panel I began notice the "JR"s following some of the names. There are no names on this memorial that are more valuable than any other, but the "JR"s made me think of the loss to each family each and every name represents. There were other displays on the grounds with the names of others who have also lost their lives in subsequent conflicts. If remembering was enough there wouldn't be so many.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Still waiting for Japanese stories.